Archive for June 2009
July 7th Tuesday, 2009
- Five new supporters attended this meeting, as well as a special guest from Japan Times who will be writing a feature on AITEN for the Community page.
- Turnout was lower than usual due to a confusion around the meeting date, typically meetings are held on the 2nd Tuesday of every month.
- Chris Pitts provided an introduction to AI and AITEN and hosted a discussion on whether suicide is or should be a human right.
- The group watched AI’s latest DVD on the Demand Dignity Campaign.
- The next film night will be held on Sun 26 Jul, a decision was made to also screen the DVD (see #4) and follow up with letter writing on the cases featured.
- The next benefits gig will be on 13 Sep, further planning to take place via email correspondence via the ‘active members’ list and also during next meeting (8 Sep).
- The next meeting wil be held on Tue 8 Sep.
Wednesday 10 June, 2009
Attendees: Susanne, Chris, Peter, Hiro, Nick, Yuki, Hisako, David, Yoko, Masako, Takemi (Minutes taker)
Venue: AIJ Office
Day/Time: June 10th, Wednesday, 19:30-21:30
1 We watched a documentary film “Burma’s Secret War”. Broadcast in 2007 in UK.
2 Next gig: June 14th, Sunday @What the Dickens.
2.1 Theme: Burma theme: Chris will make an announcement from the stage, about the theme + letter writing during the 1st break and raffle @2nd break. Information on the sentence for Suu Kyi should be checked. àYuki followed up and sent us latest information the following day.
2.2 Bands: 1.Forest Nelson ”The Sign”(from Tasmenia)+”CHILUX”. Nick will be in charge.
2.3 Raffle @21:30. Yuki will be in charge. Region-free DVD player for the first prize, commercial DVDs, Human rights DVDs (Asia-Pacific Youth Network), AI Goods.
2.4 Publicity: Ad on Metropolis arranged, which will be published this Friday. David will contact Inter-FM as they are pro-Amnesty.
2.5 Letter-writing: Postcards prepared by the Asia-Pacific Youth Network. Basic facts + materials on the Zarganar case prepared by Hisako. Takemi and Hisako will organize the session. Yuki will prepare a big photo of the POC.
2.6 Members meet at 18:30. David will organize the door rotation. The banner found out.
2.7 AITEN will buy some of the new yellow+black AI T-shirts to provide them to volunteers at the events. (Approved by a vote)
2.8 We will give all participants a yellow AITEN card when they pay money at the door.
2.9 Chris will bring Sign-up sheets for mailing list. Donation box.
2.10 Takemi will bring copies of the membership application sheet.
3 Next movie night on June 28th, Sunday @Heaven’s Door in Shimokitazawa. “War Dance”. Oxfam will organize pub quiz after the movie.
4 Board of Patrons.
To raise funds for AI among companies to help their employees become aware of human rights. Presentation materials prepared by Yuki has been improved. We’re going to have a meeting with English-speaking chambers of commerce, hoping to generate 50 members, selecting members that comply with AI policy. We will try to reach people responsible for CSR in the company. Please let us know candidate companies. BOP Wine and Cheese Evening in September at FCC.
5 Next meeting: July 7th, 1st Tuesday.